Tuesday 24 April 2012

Plagiarism


So yesterday afternoon, I found this huge huge storm about highly (as in one of the main sites you think of) respected blogger stealing half of her posts from others... I'm here to share my thoughts.

First, it's bad enough that she stole posts, slightly rewrote them, and passed them off as her own.
The fact that she's somebody EVERYONE goes to EVERY WEEK (she's the hoster of IMM) and is, er was, well respected, and has SPOKEN AGAINST PLAGIARISM is just as bad.

Plagiarism =not cool.
Plagiarism=not cool.
Plagiarism=not cool.

Somehow, all this happened in January. But we're only hearing it three months later.

It's really upsetting for everybody when someone takes somebody else's work and passes it off as their own. For the person it's taken from, for the readers of the taker (dishonesty, it's not the original work that they thought they'd be getting) and, hopefully, for the taker.

As book bloggers, we work hard on this stuff. Seriously hard. I personally take a few hours to read a book, a lot of time to think about writing a review and then half an hour to write and type the review. Discussion posts are much harder to write.

But that's not the point. The point is, she took content from somebody else and claimed it as her own. Avoid Kristi Diehm, or The Story Siren, as much as possible.

Most in-depth article-here http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/plagiarism-and-the-story-siren


2 comments:

  1. I think what upsets me even more is the stance some (or most) of her defenders take. The whole
    "people make mistakes, move on!"
    "I don't know why people are so upset about this,"
    "This could have been settled quietly, no need to cause a big drama"
    blah blah blah....

    it makes me so mad! Because now, the victims are somehow made as if they're the "bad guys", you know, "bullying" Kristi, outting her in public, and everyone who's against her plagiarism are somehow akin to a lynch mob.

    I'll stop right now before I go on a three-paged rave.

    ~you can find my reviews @ http://elfswood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't believe how shocked I was to read this, my jaw literally dropped! I can't believe it!!!! Kristi is such a respected member in the book blogging community and I practically worship her amazing-ness - she has disappointed me big time! After all the trust she's gained, it's ridiculous that she'd do something like this, I don't know if I'll ever look at her blog the same way :( And to think that the stuff on her Building a Better Blog page is copied from other blogs - I referred to that loads when I started mine and found it really helpful, it's just disgraceful, there are no words for it.

    Thanks for letting me know about this Nina, I'm really glad you did :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...