Tuesday 28 May 2013

Armchair BEA Introduction




Hey, it’s  BEA! Or will be tomorrow. As I’m stuck on the other side of the pond, I’ll have to go another time. I tell myself that. It’s on that list along with ComicCon and Vidcon and many other things in America I’d like to go because I probably won’t have the time nor money. But there’s an internet version of it, and I’m really looking forwards to participating and hopefully making new friends. And nice people at Armchair BEA  have put together some questions for introductions.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
I’m Nina, and I’ve been blogging here at Death Books and Tea for two years and three months. I got into blogging because Stephanie told us all about hers, and I thought “that sounds fun. I should try.” I started mainly blogging paranormally things, but my tastes have expanded quite a bit over the years. I’ll still always love death and tea, though.
Where in the world are you blogging from? Tell a random fact or something special about your current location. Feel free to share pictures. 
I’m blogging from my bedroom, in my flat, which is in England.  Random fact about my room- I have really random things on my walls-pictures from around the internet and my terrible artwork. Here, picture.  




Have you previously participated in Armchair BEA? What brought you back for another year? If you have not previously participated, what drew you to the event?
Since my first year of blogging, I’ve wanted to participate. The idea of everybody coming together and mingling always seemed interesting.  But I’ve always been on holiday at the time, and unwilling to take my laptop or spend tonnes of money on internet cafes. Now I’m not on holiday, and I can actually take part.  
What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?  I’m currently reading at least ten books, due to my habit of wandering into bookshops and reading things there. My main book at the moment is Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, a beautiful retelling of the Illiad that  my enjoyment of is slightly marred by the fact that I know the Illiad and that the narrator, if it’s true as the rest of the book has been, should soon be horribly killed. Favourite book of the year? Er, I really enjoyed Pantomime by Laura Lam (review to come) and Equus by Peter Shaffer (review here). Go with whichever you're more comfortable with.
Name your favorite blog(s) and explain why they are your favorite(s).
Urgh. Damn. *tries not to miss anyone off*  Raimy, Christy and Cait always have interesting new things. Viv  is very well informed about things. Cicely, Bella, Iffath, Catherine, Amber, Lucy and Amy are awesome teen  bloggers. Lisa and Demention have things from sci-fi/fantasy/dystopia/generally great spec fic. Andrew’s levels of craziness and use of gifs are  good cheer uppers. And not technically a blog, and not entirely book related,  but generally awesome anyway, are mookychick, which covers pretty much all of my interests. Ever.
If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?
That’s a really hard choice... Just going to go with Crowley from Good Omens because I love his sarcasm and style and everything about him.
What is your favorite part about the book blogging community?
The fun. The friendship. The really crazy discussions about everything, even things not remotely related to books.  
Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?
Book blogging community wise- less bitchiness and plagarism and complaints. I know not everyone’s perfect but it seems like every month someone makes a big fuss over something. Especially author-reader-reviewer relationships. In general world terms- equality, women’s rights and things should be sorted out,  and Doctor Who needs a giant (and when I say giant, I don’t mean big. I mean flipping enormous) dose of quality.  Other than that, I hope that  I can keep blogging and chatting to you guys just as much as I have been. 

So. Yes. Thank you for reading. Please stick around for a chat.  If you want to participate in  my LGBTQIA+ event in August, signups for RainbowReads are here. You can follow Death Books and Tea in many ways, such as bloglovin and networkedblogs. Anyway, if you got through this, please leave a comment and I’ll come stop by yours to say hi and hopefully be good friends. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Nina! It's nice to meet you. :) I'd love to visit England, and think it's wonderful that you live there! I hope you have fun this week. How nice that you have time to participate this year. :)

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina, thanks for stopping by my blog. Love your blog title and happy ArmchairBEA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your responses especially the less bitchiness and plagiarism etc. Sigh, can't we all just get along :-) Thankfully, most of the community is welcoming and inviting.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your layout and blog title. I especially agree with your last comment. Plagiarism and complaints do seem to be happening more and more, sadly. And I swear, at least one author seems to go crazy over reviews on every social network site a month. But, like Tanya said, thankfully most of the lovely book bloggers out there aren't like that :)

    I'm a huge Whovian and (though I haven't watched the last episode, since it's still on my DVR -- which says a lot right there) the whole Clara thing has been rather disappointing. I just feel 'meh' about her and whatever they're trying to do with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina,

    It's nice to meet you. I have to say I love your blog graphics. So cute. I hope you enjoy Armchair BEA.

    LLM - ABookGeek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to "meet" you and glad I decided to participate in ABEA this year. I didn't know about it before. Someday I hope to get to visit England.

    I like your wall of images, I do something similar actually. I'm one of those rare photographers that doesn't care about frames, I just make photo collages everywhere :)

    http://bookgoodies.com/all-about-bookgoodies-intro-for-armchairbea/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I loved Song of Achilles so so much. I think it's one of the finest love stories I've ever read.

    Yes to less bitchiness. Who needs it? Not this girl :)

    Hope you're enjoying ABEA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...